Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Russell


Some of you may have met Eric's pet rabbit. "Russell Cooper BunBun" We got him just before Easter this year. Eric is doing a great job of taking care of him, and Russell has been great at relieving anxiety with him. (Most of you heard our school woes from last year.) Every day after school last year I would send Eric out to "check" on Russell. He would hold him and talk to him, kiss him and laugh at the funny things he did. When Eric came back inside the black cloud that was hanging over him from his school day would be gone. Russell is truly a blessing in our life.

Russell roams our back yard during the day, and at night Eric catches him and puts him in his hutch.

One night this summer Eric forgot to put him in the hutch. I woke up at 5 in the morning, I thought I had heard something like a squeaky toy outside. I went to investigate, I had a feeling something was wrong with Russell. I opened the curtain at the back door, and saw a cat at the bottom of the stairs. I ran out and scared the cat over the fence. Then I looked under the porch for Russell. (He has a spot under a couple of boards that he likes to hide under.) He was there but I was afraid he was hurt, remember it is dark and I can't see much. I didn't want to try to chase him if he were hurt and I thought he might bite me because he was so scared. So I woke Robert up to come help me. We used a flash light and he wasn't covered in blood like I had imagined, in fact he looked fine. Robert picked him up and I looked him over. The only injuries he had were a bite on his rear leg that was bleeding a little and a patch of fur missing from his neck.
We put Russell in his hutch, and the next morning I called my friend Julie.

Julie has a cat who likes to get in fights, so she knows how to care for cat bites. She told me what to do and Russell healed well. We never leave him out at night anymore. Eric and I also gave him the title of "Brave Bunny" for fighting off a vicious cat.

Russell also has the title of "Runaway Rabbit". Sometimes the gate doesn't get locked and the wind blows it open. Away he goes and hides. Once we searched for two hours before we found him in the front flowerbed.

Even with all that we still love Russell and the funny things he does: When he yawns and stretches after a nap. His curious nature. That one of his favorite thing to eat is morning glory. That he digs tunnels to hide in. How he carries his toys in his teeth. The funny way he washes his face and head. If you stand very still he likes to nibble the sole of your shoes. And that he likes to nap under the slide.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I think that is so cool. In my opinion, every child should have a pet of some kind (this coming from a girl who never had any pets). They are just so much fun. Although, I had no idea a bunny could be so much fun. My roommate had one at BYU and she used to take it on walks but that was about it. Go BRAVE BUNNY!!!

Brandon and Julie said...

I am so glad that Russell and Eric are taking such good care of each other. How fun for Eric to have a great brave bunny

Travis said...

Paisley was excited to see a picture of "Eric's bunny" She remembers when you picked it up and stopped at our house to show it to us. She talks about the white and black bunny in the car. We are glad that Russel was not harmed.