Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Saturday at the Conference Center


We were lucky enough to get two tickets to General Conference, Sat morn. (thanks Mom) I was excited to take Eric, since he is now old enough to go. (When your boy is eight there are not may "firsts" to experience.)

We had a Family Home Evening lesson about how a new apostle is called and we talked about the First Presidency. Eric was excited, he woke up early Sat. Robert drove us down and dropped us off. (Horrible traffic, glad I wasn't driving and trying to park.) As we stood in line to get in we talked about the people handing out pamphlets, who incidentally were much more polite than those I have encountered in the past.

When we got inside we found seats and sat down. We talked about when the Prophet entered how everyone would stand up to show our reverence and respect for him. So when President Hinckley walked in Eric knew exactly what to do. Our seats were on the Plaza level east side, and on the isle, so Eric could stand out in the isle and see Pres. Hinckley walking in. It was so quiet and you could just feel the Spirit in the room. As we sat down Eric and I talked about the special way we felt as the Prophet walked in.

As the choir began to sing, I remembered how I love to hear them sing in person. You can just feel it all over. We spent most of the meeting watching the big screen, because the speakers were minuscule. But it is still so different, so much better watching with thousands of people and the speakers really being right there. I just feel the Spirit and the faith of everyone around me. We are so blessed to be close enough to experience Conference in person.

Eric was remarkable good and attentive throughout the meeting, which is more than I can say when we watch at home.

After Conference we threaded our way through the crowd to find the first aid room, where my Mom is a nurse. (That's how she got us the tickets.) We left about a half hour after it was over, and drove home with Mom.

We watched the rest of the sessions at home, and as Pres. Hinckley spoke during the last Sunday session I felt somehow sad the there would not be any more until next spring. It really was a wonderful weekend. I look forward to the Nov. Ensign so that I can read it all again.

P.S. Eric was excited to go through a metal detector at the doors, "Just like at the airport!". He commented in his excited little voice, that "It didn't go off." when he walked through. Don't you wish for the eyes of a child again? How much more fun we would have!

2 comments:

Travis said...

Your a good mom Marie. It's fun that you got to take Eric to conference. I will have to read them in the Ensign too because Paisley was a little loud also, she was sick of conference by the end. 8 hours in 2 days of being told "shhh quite it's were trying to listen". Once again, quite cool!

Stacy said...

I love going to see Conference in the Conference Center too. It is different than watching it at home in your pjs - although that is nice too.

I always look forward to the Nov Ensign too. I don't always hear everything with the kids around so it is nice to be able to re-read and catch what I missed.

Good idea taking Eric. I am sure he will always remember his experience.